- This event has passed.
6th ESA Advanced Training Course on Land Remote Sensing 2015
September 14, 2015 - September 18, 2015
University of Agronomic Sciences and Veterinary Medicine, Bucharest, Romania
As part of the Scientific Exploitation of Operational Missions (SEOM) programme element, the European Space Agency (ESA) organises each year an advanced Land Training Course devoted to train the next generation of Earth Observation (EO) scientists to exploit data from ESA and operational EO Missions (e.g. Sentinels) for science and applications development.
Post graduate, PhD students, post doctoral research scientists and users from European countries and Canada interested in Land Remote Sensing and its applications were invited to apply to the 5 day course on the subject, which was held at the University of Agronomic Science and Veterinary Medicine in Bucharest, Romania on 14-18 September 2015. Research scientists and students from all other countries were also welcome to apply and participate to the course subject to space availability.
No participation fees were charged for the training but participants were expected to cover their own travel and accommodation expenses (financial support was not available). The official language of the training course was English.
The Advanced Land Training Course aimed at:
- Training the next generation of European and Canadian Principal Investigators (PIs);
- Explaining theoretical principles, processing algorithms, data products and their use in applications;
- Introducing tools and methods for the exploitation of EO sateliite data, in particular Sentinels data;
- Stimulating and supporting the exploitation of ESA EO and Third Party Mission data for land remote sensing science and applications.
The course provided advanced scientific knowlenge on theory and applications of land remote sensing. It was organized around five main components:
- Presentation of the Sentinel-1, -2 and -3 missions;
- Theoretical fundamentals of spaceborne Optical, Thermal and SAR remote sensing;
- EO land applications lectures on Land Use and Land Cover, Change Detection, Terrain Motion, Hazards, Forest Bio-physical retrievals, Multi-temporal analysis, Flood monitoring, Snow Cover mapping, Climate (Water and Carbon);
- Practicals using ESA toolboxes for scientific exploitation of EO data;
- EO data processing and product demonstration for land resources monitoring.
The training course included formal lectures by leading scientists as well as hands-on computing exercises exploiting real and simulated data for science and application.