In principle any user can apply for ESA sponsoring of cloud resources through the NoR, for Research, Pre-commercial, Development and demonstration projects exploiting satellite-based EO data, that are not creating revenue.
Due to limitations of the available financial resources and to prevent misuse, the following constraints currently apply:
- Sponsoring cannot be requested for services where the requesting entity (or subsidiary) are involved in the service provisioning, i.e. where there would be an interest in revenue generation from the sponsoring;
- Resource Tier Services will generally only be sponsored for ESA projects and where the request is supported by the relevant Technical Officer. Other applicants may consider making use of platform services, acting as front-ends;
- The scope of supporting research activities outside ESA projects in the use of platform services is to demonstrate a step-change in the speed to achieve the desired results. Consequently, any sponsoring is limited to maximum of 12 months and usually 5000€, after which the user is expected to directly fund any required NoR resources;
- Any large systematic processing of datasets can only be funded if the resulting dataset remains available free and open on the supporting platform;
- Sponsoring of fixed allocated processing resources is acceptable only if 24/7 use of these resources is demonstrated (dynamic allocation of processing resources is preferred);
- Only registered Research Institutes and Commercial Entities can receive sponsoring for commercial data. The requests must also be received from an official email address of the Institute or Entity.
Priority in awarding of vouchers
ESA will further apply the following priorities in the awarding of vouchers:
- ESA projects;
- Entities from participating countries;
- Entities requesting resources in the framework of agreed collaborations;
- Entities from developing countries;
- Flagship projects valorising the used platform services;
- Other projects where a benefit for the funding member states is visible.