- This event has passed.
6th ESA Advanced Course on Radar Polarimetry 2021
May 10, 2021 - May 14, 2021
The European Space Agency (ESA) organised the 6th Advanced Course on Radar Polarimetry dedicated to training the next generation of Earth Observation (EO) scientists to exploit dual and fully polarimetric data for science and applications development. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the event took place in an online format.
A total of 40 post-graduate, PhD students, post-doctoral research scientists and users interested in Radar Polarimetry, BIOMASS and their applications participated in the event. They were mainly affiliated to European and Canadian institutions. In addition, 22 research scientists and students were accepted as observers.
The main objectives of the course were to:
- Train the next generation of European and Canadian Principal Investigators (PIs);
- Explain theoretical principles, processing algorithms, data products and their use in various applications;
- Introduce available tools and methods for the exploitation of dual-pol and full-pol data;
- Provide first-hand and up-to-date information on the state of the art in Radar Polarimetry, Polarimetric SAR Interferometry and SAR Tomography;
- Provide an introduction to BIOMASS mission, data and applications
Lecturers included Prof. Eric Pottier (University of Rennes 1), Prof. Irena Hajnsek (ETH Zurich), Prof. Laurent Ferro-Famil (University of Rennes 1), Prof. Stefano Tebaldini (Politecnico di Milano), Armando Marino (University of Stirling) and Thuy Le Toan (CESBIO).
Access here below the full programme and the training materials (videos of the lectures, theory slides, practical slides and datasets).