UNIVERSITY OF ZURICH (CH)
A global knowledge of the state of and changes to biological diversity can only be based on a combination of in-situ and remotely sensed observations integrated into a comprehensive biodiversity knowledge system. The needs to integrate satellite observations in a unified and global biodiversity monitoring strategy has been recognised by the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) and the intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity (IPBES). A framework for such a global and integrated biodiversity monitoring system is developed by the Group on Earth Observation Biodiversity Observation Network (GEO BON) under the general concept of Essential Biodiversity Variables (EBV).
GlobDiversity is the first large-scale project explicitly designed to develop and engineer Remotely Sensed enabled Essential Biodiversity Variables (RS-enabled EBVs). The objective of the project is to develop, validate, showcase and scale up a number of High Resolution RS-enabled EBVs on the structure (characterisation of the ecosystem components such as ecosystem extent, distribution and fragmentation) and function (characterisation of the ecosystem processes such as vegetation phenology or primary productivity) of terrestrial ecosystems, in support to the collaborative efforts of CBD, IPBES and GEO BON to build a global knowledge system on the biodiversity of ecosystems. The project produces reference documentation for the development of RS-enabled EBVs, supported by pilot demonstrations of 3 RS-enabled EBVs (Land Surface Phenology, Canopy Chlorophyll Content and Ecosystem Fragmentation) on 10 pilot sites selected in key terrestrial biomes. In addition, Vegetation Height is also investigated as potential future RS-enabled EBV.
GlobDiversity contributes to the the collaborative efforts of the biodieversity communtity to prioritize and specify the EBVs retrievable from remote sensing.
01. GlobDiversity Final Report
02. GloDiversity RS-enabled EBV Road Map
03. GlobDiversity User Handbook
04. GlobDiversity Brochure on Canopy Chlorophyll Content
05. GlobDiversity Brochure on Fragmentation
06. GlobDiversity Brochure on Land Surface Phenology
07. GlobDiversity Satellite Observation Requirements (SOR) for Canopy Chlorophyll Content
08. GlobDiversity Satellite Observation Requirements (SOR) of Ecosystem Fragmentation
09. GlobDiversity Satellite Observation Requirements (SOR) of Land Surface Phenology
10. GlobDiversity Satellite Observation Requirements (SOR) of Vegetation Structure
11. GlobDiversity Satellite Observation Requirements (SOR)
12. GlobDiversity ATBD for Canopy Chlorophyll Content
13. GlobDiversity ATBD for Ecosystem Fragmentation
14. GlobDiversity ATBD for Land Surface Phenology