- This event has passed.
3rd Earth Observation Summer School 2006
July 31, 2006 - August 11, 2006
BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES:
European Space Agency (ESA) organises a series of summer schools on Monitoring of the Earth System to promote the exploitation of Earth Observation EO data across disciplines, with a specific focus on their assimilation into Earth System models. The Summer Schools last for two-week and are held in ESA/ESRIN (near Rome, Italy).
The third edition of the series took place from 31st July to 11th August 2004 and was titled “Third ENVISAT Summer School“. A total of 65 young researchers (Ph.D. students, young post-docs) from across the world attended the event. They had a varied background in Earth science disciplines (e.g. meteorology, oceanography, biology, remote sensing, modelling).
The Summer School aimed to train a new generation of scientists in the skills needed to exploit data from the full range of instruments of ESA’s Envisat satellite. The programme focused on observing global change from space, modelling the Earth’s system and combining data to make forecasts and predictions.
A broad spectrum of spectrum of research issues were addressed, related to oceans, atmosphere, biosphere and cryosphere. The programme also showed how Data Assimilation techniques maximize the scientific and economic value of EO data.
The programme included keynote lectures, hands-on computing practicals and poster sessions.
- Olivier Talagrand (LMD)
- Hartmut Grassl (MPI)
- Michel Verstraete (JRC IES)
- Ricky Rood (University of Michigan)
- Bob Su (ITC)
- Keith Haines (ESSC)
- David Barber (University of Manitoba)
- Andy Shepherd (University of Edinburgh )
- Filippo Giorgi (ICTP)
- Bob Scholes (CSIR)
- Pierre Brasseur (LEGI)
- Jean-Noel Thepaut (ECMWF)
- Val Byfield (NOC) (Remote Sensing tutorial)
- Stefano Migliorini (DARC) (Data Assimilation tutorial)
- Amos Lawless (DARC) (Data Assimilation tutorial)
- Stephen Briggs (ESA)
- David Williams (EUMETSAT)
- Alan O’Neill (DARC)
- Cristiane Schmullius (University of Jena)
- Johnny Johanessen (NERSC)
- Organising Committee
- Pierre-Philippe Mathieu (ESA) (Organiser)
- Cathy Morris (SERCO/ESA-ESRIN) (Coordinator)
- Carmen Comparetto (Congrex/ESA-ESRIN) (Hotel liaison)
Access here below the full programme.