- This event has passed.
3rd ESA Advanced Training Course on Ocean Remote Sensing 2013
September 23, 2013 - September 27, 2013
National Maritime College of Ireland
As part of the Scientific Exploitation of Operational Missions (SEOM) programme element the European Space Agency (ESA) organised a series of advanced thematic training courses devoted to train the next generation of Earth Observation (EO) scientists to use data from ESA and operational EO Missions for science and applications development.
Post-doctoral and graduate research scientists, PhD students and EO information users from European countries and Canada interested in ocean remote sensing and its applications were invited to attend the 5 day course which was held in Cork, at the National Maritime College of Ireland from 23 to 27 September 2013. Research scientists and students from non-ESA member countries were also welcome to apply and participate in the course subject to space availability.
The advanced ocean training course aimed at:
- Training the next generation of European and Canadian Principal Investigators (PIs)
- Teaching and demonstrating theoretical principles, processing algorithms, data products and their use in applications
- Introducing tools and methods for the exploitation of EO satellite data
- Stimulating and supporting the exploitation of EO remote sensing data in ocean applications
- Peparating for the scientific utilisation of data from the Sentinel satellite series
The advanced course provided a substantial and balanced introduction to the basic theory and applications related to ocean remote sensing. It was organised around the following main components:
- Theoretical fundamentals of Optical, Thermal and SAR Ocean remote sensing, focusing on use of ESA and Third Party Mission data and products
- Practicals using existing software tools (BEAM, BRAT, SARTool, Bilko) and complementary datasets from ESA for the interpretation of signatures from EO data and their transformation into geo-physical products
- EO data processing and product demonstration for practical monitoring applications in open oceans and coastal zones.
The training course included formal lectures by leading scientists as well as hands-on practical exercises allowing students to work with SAR, Optical/Thermal and Radar Altimeter data.
Access here below the full programme.