- This event has passed.
5th ESA Advanced Training Course on Ocean Remote Sensing 2017
September 11, 2017 - September 15, 2017
University of Porto
As part of the EO Science For Society – scientific exploitation programme element, the European Space Agency (ESA) organised an advanced Ocean Remote Sensing Training Course devoted to train the next generation of Earth Observation (EO) scientists to exploit data from ESA and operational EO Missions (e.g. Copernicus Sentinels) for science and application development. The training course was organised by ESA in cooperation with the University of Porto and was held at the University from 11 to 15 September 2017.
Post graduate, PhD students, postdoctoral research scientists and users form European countries and Canada interested in Ocean Remote Sensing and Synergy were invited to apply to the 5-day course. Research scientists and students from all other contries were also welcome to apply and participate to the course subject to availability of places.
No participation fees were charged for the training but participants were expected to cover their own travel and accommodation expenses (financial support was not available). The official language of the training course was English.
Using a series of lectures and laboratory classes, group-work and discussion, the aim of the course was to develop new skills in the application of complementary satellite ocean remote sensing data sets and their application in synergy for science and applications serving society. The course included:
- Training the next generation of European and Canadian Principal Investigators (PIs);
- The theoretical principles and application of Ocean Colour Radiometry, Infrared and Passive Microwave Radiometry, Biogeochemical, Sea Surface Temperature, and Sea Surface Salinity retrievals;
- The theoretical principles and application of synthetic aperture radar and radar altimetry;
- Hands-on exercises using SAR, Optical, Infrared, Passive Microwave, and Altimeter data, tools/toolboxes and methods for the exploitation of EO satellite data in synergy over the ocean;
- Stimulating and supporting the exploitation of the ESA Earth Explorer and Copernicus Sentinel Missions.
The training course was devoted to applications of ESA EO data and information retrieval using optical, IR, SAR and Radar Altimeter data.
The course included formal lectures by leading scientists as well as hands-on practical exercises allowing students to work with SAR, Optical, Thermal and Radar Altimeter data.