- This event has passed.
6th ESA Advanced Training Course on Ocean Remote Sensing 2019
November 4, 2019 - November 8, 2019
Grand Arsenal – Center of Mediterranean Architecture
As part of the EO Science For Society – scientific exploitation programme element, the European Space Agency (ESA) organised the 6th Advanced Course on Ocean Remote Sensing, also referred to as Advanced Ocean Synergy training course, devoted to train the next generation of Earth Observation (EO) scientists to exploit data from ESA and Third Party Mission instruments for ocean (e.g. Copernicus Sentinels) science and application development.
The training course was organised by ESA in cooperation with the Technical University of Crete and was held at the Venetian Arsenali building at the Center of Mediterranean Architecture, Chania, Crete (Greece) from 04 to 08 November 2019.
A total of 69 post graduate, PhD students, postdoctoral research scientists and users, mainly from European countries and Canada interested in Ocean Remote Sensing and Synergy took part in the 5-day course.
No participation fees were charged for the training but participants were expected to cover their own travel and accommodation expenses (financial support was not available). The official language of the training course was English.
COURSE AIM AND OBJECTIVES:
Using a series of lectures and laboratory classes, group-work and discussion, the aim of the course is to develop new skills in the application of complementary satellite ocean remote sensing data sets and their application in synergy for science and applications serving society. The course will include:
- Training the next generation of European and Canadian Principal Investigators (PIs);
- The theoretical principles and application of Ocean Colour Radiometry, Infrared and Passive Microwave Radiometry, Biogeochemical, Sea Surface Temperature, and Sea Surface Salinity retrievals;
- The theoretical principles and application of synthetic aperture radar and radar altimetry;
- Hands-on exercises using SAR, Optical, Infrared, Passive Microwave, and Altimeter data, tools/toolboxes and methods for the exploitation of EO satellite data in synergy over the ocean;
- Stimulating and supporting the exploitation of the ESA Earth Explorer and Copernicus Sentinel Missions.
Access here below the full programme and training material (both theory and practicals).