- This event has passed.
3rd ESA Advanced Training Course on Land Remote Sensing 2011
September 12, 2011 - September 16, 2011
Institute of Geography and Spatial Management, Jagiellonian University
The European Space Agency is organising a series of advanced thematic training courses devoted to train the next generation of EO PIs to exploit data from ESA and Third Party EO Missions for science and applications development.
In 2011, post graduate, PhD students, post – doctoral research scientists and users from European countries and Canada interested in Land remote sensing applications were invited to attend a 5 day advanced training course in the subject. This 3rd advanced training course on land remote sensing was held in Kraków, Poland from 12 to 16 September 2011. The course was hosted by Institute of Geography and Spatial Management, Jagiellonian University and organised by ESA in co-operation with co-sponsoring institutions.
The advanced land training course aimed at:
- Training the next generation of European and Canadian Principal Investigators (PIs);
- Introducing available tools and methods for the exploitation of ERS, Envisat, TPM and Explorers satellite data;
- Stimulating and supporting the exploitation of ESA EO and Third Party Mission (TPM) remote sensing data for land applications.
- Theoretical fundamentals of SAR, Optical and Thermal remote sensing, focusing on exploitation of ESA and Third Party missions and products
- EO land applications lectures (urban planning, land cover, hazards, terrain motion, forest bio-physical retrievals and regional water balance)
- Practicals using ESA toolboxes (BEAM, NEST and POLSARPRO) and complimentary data sets
- EO data processing and product demonstration for land resources monitoring.