- This event has passed.
ESA / University of Szeged / DLR – Radar Remote Sensing Course
June 13, 2011 - June 17, 2011
Department of Physical Geography and Geoinformatics, University of Szeged, Hungary
On the 13th to 17th June 2011 a radar remote sensing training course was organised in Hungary by ESA, the University of Szeged and the German Aerospace Center (DLR), In cooperation with the University of Rennes (France), University of Jena (Germany) and University of Tor Vergata (Italy).
The course was addressed to PhD students and young professionals from Poland, Hungary, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia and Serbia who use EO technology within their daily work and would like to improve their knowledge of radar remote sensing.
The course included an introduction to microwave remote sensing technology as well as examples of end-user applications of this technology within the environmental field.
The hosting institution was the Department of Physical Geography and Geoinformatics, University of Szeged, Hungary.The official language of the course was English.
ESA Earth Observation missions and data access
SAR principles – fundamentals of radar remote sensing and radar processing (theory and computer practical sessions)
Polarimetric SAR (theory and practical sessions)
Introduction to Radar Interferometry (theory)
Specific applications of SAR (theory and practical sessions)
Applications to forestry, agriculture, biomass
Applications to emergency mapping and disaster monitoring – Example of flood monitoring
Dr. F. Dekker (DLR)
Dr. L. Ferro-Famil (Université de Rennes, France)
Dr. C. Thiel (University of Jena, Germany)
Assisted by: Dr. F. Sarti (ESA), Ing. F.Costantini (Univ.Tor Vergata c/o ESA)
List of course contents:
- ESA EO Data Access
- The ESA Earth Observation Programmes: status and outlook – Dr. F. Sarti (ESA)
- How to Access ESA Earth Observation Data – Dr. F. Sarti (ESA)
- Introduction to SAR:
- Introduction to SAR 1 – Dr. F. Dekker (DLR)
- Introduction to SAR 2: Acquisition modes, Applications, and future trends – Dr. F. Dekker (DLR)
- SAR Applications and Practical Exercises:
- SAR Theory and Applications to Forest Cover and Disturbance Mapping and Forest Biomass Assessment – Dr. C. Thiel (University of Jena, Germany)
- Forest Cover Mapping and Biomass Assessment using PALSAR Intensities and Coherence – Practical (Practical exercise using ERDAS Imagine software) Dr. C. Thiel (University of Jena, Germany)
- Knowledge-centred Earth Observation (KEO) Demonstration – F.Costantini (Univ.Tor Vergata c/o ESA)
- EO for Disaster Management: Results from the “International Charter Space & Major Disasters”, from “SAFER” and others – Dr. F. Sarti (ESA)
- NEST Flood Mapping Exercise – F.Costantini (Univ.Tor Vergata c/o ESA)