Don’t miss the first VANTAGE coding challenge on The Urban Environment!
VANTAGE is a new, online, cloud-based platform for analysis and exploitation of video from space. It includes a repository of high-definition videos captured from EO satellites, and a suite of analytical tools for extracting value and insight from the videos, plus support for user-defined workflows and algorithms.
In the first of 3 coding challenges, EO coding enthusiasts are invited to use the VANTAGE platform to demonstrate innovative ways to exploit satellite videos of urban scenes. This could include looking for movement on roads, looking for specific objects or features such as buildings, or creating a 3D model by exploiting the different viewing angles in the video.
Cash prizes will be awarded for the best solutions!
- 1st prize: €1500
- 2nd prize: €750
- 3rd prize: €500
Register before Thursday 11 November 2021 by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org including details of any resource/library requests you may have. You will need a Google or LinkedIn account in order to register and access the platform. You may enter as an individual or as a team.
The competition runs over a period of two weeks with technical support available from Earth-i and CGI during normal European working hours on weekdays.
Opening: Monday 15 November 2021
Briefing & Tutorial Webinar: 15 November, 10:00-11:00 CEST
Tech Support Available: 15-19 November, 10:00-17:00 CEST
Tech Support Continues: 22-26 November, 10:00-17:00 CEST
Closing Sessions: Friday 26 November 2021
Individual 15-min Presentation Slots: 10:00-14:00 CEST
Winners Announced / Awards Ceremony: 16:00-17:00 CEST
Your tools during the competition period
All participants will get:
- A dedicated workspace on the VANTAGE cloud platform (in AWS)
- Access to 280+ satellite videos from the VividX2 mission
- Access to predefined video processing algorithms and services in VANTAGE
- Access to Jupyter Hub with key Python libraries (FFMPEG, OpenCV, PyTorch, TensorFlow, Keras – others may be available on request)
- Access to example Jupyter notebooks on GitHub (how to read/write video data, format/structure of the data, daisy chaining services in VANTAGE)
The evaluation process
Winners will be selected by a panel including Earth-i, CGI and ESA representatives. The evaluators will be looking for:
- innovation in terms of new methods for processing satellite video;
- optimisation in terms of algorithms that are fast and efficient;
- quality in terms of the accuracy/reliability of the output products;
- value in terms of potential for commercial end-user applications.
For more information watch the VANTAGE introductory video and go to the webpage earthi.space/vantage.
Download the challenge leaflet.