This call is intended to:
- Foster scientific excellence and maximize the scientific impact of ESA Polar Science Cluster activities and European EO assets through networking and collaboration;
- Contribute to promote a dynamic collaborative European Polar Research Area by reinforcing the collaboration and coordination of ESA science activities with EC funded projects and relevant activities funded by MS.
- Contribute to the implementation of the ESA-EC Earth System Science Initiative and in particular of the Flagship Action on Polar Changes and Global Impacts.
Proposals for developments under this call must demonstrate conclusively all of the following:
- Clear innovation content: Activities shall aim at highly innovative scientific results beyond the state of the art;
- Clear synergistic content: Activities shall bringing together results, data, expertise and knowledge from different activities to attain novel collaborative scientific breakthroughs (bigger than the sum of the parts);
- Clear collaborative content: Activities shall bring together different teams and experts from different ESA and 3rd party funded projects (i.e., by the EC H2020 or national programmes in MSs) in a collaborative approach.
Under this call ESA intent to support proposals addressing the following types of activities:
- Collaborative Research Actions: Implement collaborative research and joint science activities across projects, building on top of existing ongoing ESA, EC and nationally funded Polar science projects, with the aim of capitalising on potential synergies and implement additional joint scientific efforts (e.g., novel joint developments, additional Work Packages not foreseen within the existing projects, innovative collaborative research actions) that bring together results, data, knowledge and value-added from the different activities in order to achieve new innovate results beyond the single objectives of the individual projects and beyond the state of the art.
- Interdisciplinary Networking Actions: Support community networking efforts bringing together various interdisciplinary teams across Europe and beyond (including networking with international scientist and partners), different ESA, EC, national and international projects, several scientific results, datasets and stakeholders including scientists, policy makers, citizens or other relevant Polar communities to address a major scientific challenges in Polar research. This type of action shall be mainly dedicated to support networking, synthesis and analysis activities of different in outs and contributions from the community (which is supposed to be already partially covered by existing contributing ESA and 3rd party projects). With this action, ESA aims at funding dedicated coordination, networking and synthesis activities (e.g., data, knowledge and code sharing, data gathering and analysis, community paper preparations, etc..) required to contribute to achieve a collective community scientific objective resulting in novel scientific knowledge, novel datasets, high impact community papers, synthesis reports, benchmarking activities or strategic positioning papers driving future Polar research.
- Local Communities Co-design Actions: Novel scientific activities designed in close collaboration with local communities capitalizing on latest results from ESA activities and data and address science questions with a major impact on local communities or a direct involvement of local communities as part of the science process, specially through citizen science activities.
Learn more about this Invitation To Tender on the EMITS page.