The purpose of this procurement is to place one contract for the larger-scale exploitation activities of EO-based information products and services that respond to geospatial information requirements in the thematic domain of Forest Management associated with flagship developments being carried out by the main International Financing Institutions (IFIs). The activities shall convincingly demonstrate that EO-based information can be effectively used to ensure the environmental sustainability of the developments planned or in progress. The activities will be carried out in close collaboration with the key stakeholders; namely the main International Financing Institutions (IFIs). These include the World Bank Group (WBG), the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), the Asian Development Bank (ADB), the Inter-American Development Bank (IADB) and the Global Facility for the Environment (GEF). Throughout 2017/18, discussions have taken place between ESA and the Bank teams with the result that there is now a set of well-defined and feasible geo-spatial information requirements for the Forest sector for which EO can make an important contribution. In addition, there is an initial technical specification of the main types of EO-based products and services (referred to as the EO Service Cluster) that are relevant to these requirements. These information requirements and product specifications form the baseline of the work to be carried out and are included as a technical annex to the Statement of Work (SoW).
A phased approach to the implementation of activities shall be adopted and consists of Set-Up activities to be carried out in the first year, followed by Development Demonstration activities in next 2 years. An initial breakdown of these activities is:
- Engage IFIs and prepare cross-IFI exchange network,
- Engage key stakeholders in IFI client states,
- Eliminate obstacles for sustainable transfer of EO and define common actions to address issues across the project life-cycle,
- Elaborate and prepare the EO demonstrations required (European data access, service clusters, support tools, capacity-building).
Development Demonstration Activities:
- Develop EO service clusters, and execute/scale-up EO service demonstrations,
- Connect EO-based information services to existing international thematic networks and development support initiatives in the water, agriculture/rural, and urban development sectors,
- Implement cooperative training and capacity building, both within IFI (for project preparation) and IFI Client countries (project implementation); addressing geographic areas of SE Asia, Latin America Caribbean (LAC), Africa,
- Prepare the sustainable transfer of EO services into the routine working practices of large-scale international development programmes and projects.
Learn more about this Invitation To Tender on the EMITS page.