On behalf of the European Space Agency (ESA), we are pleased to invite you to participate to the Call for Research Proposals of the Living Planet Fellowship 2018.
The main objective of this initiative is to support young researchers who have a doctoral degree and who would like to initiate a scientific career in the context of Earth Observation and Earth system science.
With this call ESA plans to support up to 10 Post-Doctoral researchers (supported by ESA with a ceiling price of 99 KEuro per 2-years under a co-funding scheme) to carry out a research project at a Host Institution in an eligible ESA Member State.
Candidate researchers shall submit research proposals responding to one of following Research Areas:
- Advancing Novel Methods and Techniques: Targeted research projects aimed at developing innovative methods, novel algorithms and new EO products and datasets expanding the scientific use of the Sentinel missions, the Earth Explorers or the ESA long-term data archives into new scientific areas and application domains. Activities shall establish a solid basis to expand the missions product portfolio and stimulate novel science results and innovative applications. Priority will be given to develop and validate novel algorithms, data processing techniques, advanced methodologies and new EO-based products that may maximise the novel capabilities offered by the Sentinel missions, the unique data offered by the Earth Explorers, the long-term series of ESA data archives, and its synergies also in combination with meteorological and non-ESA missions.
- Advancing Earth System Science: Cutting-edge scientific activities aimed at maximizing the scientific impact of ESA and European missions in terms of new discoveries and advances in Earth system science addressing the new challenges of the ESA EO Science Strategy. Projects shall contribute to answer major open questions in Earth system science, address global scientific challenges posed by international Earth System Science communities and international science groups (e.g., WCRP, SOLAS, GCP, etc…). Priority will be given to activities that maximise the scientific return of ESA and European EO assets including Sentinel, Earth Explorers and Meteo mission data, the long-term ESA archive and existing EO-based long-term datasets (e.g., ESA project results).
1. Call for Research Proposals Package
The Call for Research Proposals package includes the following documents:
- Call for Research Proposals
- Annex A: Proposal Template
- Annex B: PSS form
- Annex C: Draft Partnership Agreement
The documentation (Call for Research Proposals package) can be downloaded here
2. Host Institution Country Eligibility
Projects will be funded under the 5th period of ESA’s Earth Observation Envelope Programme (EOEP-5). EOEP-5 is an optional programme of the Agency, and participation is restricted to institutions which have their registered office in one of the following Participating States: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, Slovenia and Canada.
3. Closing Date
Your proposal and all supporting documents must be sent by e-mail to:EOScience@esa.int by no later than 22nd February 2018 (the Closing Date).
Any questions relating to this Call must be sent, by e-mail to EOScience@esa.int, not later than two (2) weeks before the Closing Date.